Tuesday, November 08, 2005

the reality of things

Woke up this morning with the realisation that I had 3 days left in London.

That itself was enough to dampen my mood for the rest of the day.

Decided to do the final bits of what I’d left out the past few days – visited Kensington Palace, checked out the Victoria & Albert museum, got a mailing tube to store the posters I picked up for a friend, bought some goodies from Harrods for my family. Even went to Lilywhites to see if I could get a VAT return on the footie jersey I’d bought for my cousin, but I missed the minimum by £5. I contemplated buying something to make up that amount, but after some calculation I decided to heck with it, not quite worth the extra 5 quid to save £3.75.

Went home earlier than usual; by 5:00PM I was already showered and tidying up my stuff. For a moment I thought I’d misplaced my plane ticket and panicked, till I found it hidden in one of my bags’ zipper pockets. Ah.

I thought I wouldn’t go through a melancholic mood while on a long holiday, but I guess there’s no escaping how you feel no matter what you do to avoid it. Maybe it’s the knowledge that all good things must come to an end, and I’ll have to go back to my mundane life this weekend.

Or maybe it’s because I know I have to say goodbye.