Monday, October 31, 2005

touchdown & knocked out

It’s 5:01AM in London, but already 1:01PM in KL. Woke up about half an hour ago and felt totally wide awake. Oh no… the first of my jet lag?

I’m typing this in the dark – didn’t want to turn on any lights in case I wake my friend Cheryl who’s still in dreamland. I can’t even see the keyboard, and typing this almost totally based on familiarity of where the keys are, ha-ha!

Ok, how is it so far? Well, it wasn’t all that cold to begin with when we landed. In fact we were able to walk around town with just a long-sleeved t-shirt and no jacket. Of course, it got colder at night, and it’s a little chilly outside right now I’m sure, but nice and toasty inside the unit.

I’m sure those who have been here would agree with me when I say… man, that was one long walk from Terminal 3 to baggage reclaim, and then to Underground! Quite a bit of crowd, but quickly dispersed after all luggage was collected.

At the immigration counter there was this young Indian chap who asked me the usual questions –
“Where are you from?”
“How long are you staying for?”
“Where are you visiting?”
“What nationality are your friends?”

He asked it in a polite tone so I didn’t feel like I was interrogated, which was a little different as to what my friend had experienced (the rude version). Then he went on to say that the shops are closed early these days, the Tower’s closed, I came in the wrong season, etc. And I went like “Huh? Really? That’s just my bad luck!”

Then came the half grin on his face… “I was only joking. Have a nice stay…”

Ahhh… was that the first Brit humour encounter? Heh. Not that funny, really. He got me, though.

Got to Cheryl’s place close to 6:00PM local time. Off-loaded all her stuff, rearranged some of the other things for friends, got mine sorted out a little as well. I still wasn’t feeling that tired despite it being 2:00AM in KL. Stayed up a bit more, ate a light dinner (by the way, plane food wasn’t too bad, had Crunch ice-cream!), had a shower…

Then 9:30PM rolled around, my eyelids started closing. I hit the sack a little after that.

Now I’m awake lah… Heheh. Checked who’s online but didn’t want to chat just yet. The KL gang’s all awake but out for lunch. Maybe will say hello a bit later.

Ok… time to check my mail…


5:25AM London local time