Wednesday, November 02, 2005

ambling around

Today’s weather started out cloudy, not quite rainy yet. Took the tube to Westminster but decided to skip the Abbey since I had no intention of going in. Maybe another day…

Fancy visiting the Prime Minister of England on Downing Street? Well, I didn’t exactly get to No. 10 since they’ve gated and guarded that whole street. At least I still could say “I was on the street where the PM lives”, heheh.


On the way down Whitehall, the Household Calvary troopers were just about to change at Horse Guards Parade. Though the ceremony was very short and a far cry from the elaborate Guard Change at Buckingham Palace, at least the guards wore the eye-catching chili-red cloaks instead of the winter grey outfits.

From there it’s on to Trafalgar Square where Lord Nelson and the bronze lions greeted me. It would’ve been a prettier sight to behold if there was good sunshine; the grey weather did little to illuminate the greatness of the square with its fountains and four plinths.

Ahh… the National Gallery. Since I had the time and no where else to go for the day, I decided to visit every room there was, looking at every painting even if it’s just a glance. A good couple of hours were spent looking at art from the early 13th till late 19th century. Leonardo da Vinci, Michelangelo, Botticelli, Rubens, Rembrant, Van Gogh, Cézanne, Monet… oh, it was absolutely marvellous! The minute details, the brushstrokes, the mystery and messages, the talent that went into each painting was breathtaking, inspiring.


When I finally peeled myself away from the Gallery, the weather was even gloomier. Ate my packed bagel sandwich (and many more the next few days) on the steps overlooking the Square while planning where to go next. Hmmm… time to start on a little shopping escapade.

By the time I walked down Cockspur St the drizzle had started, and quite heavy too. Made probably the wisest decision at that point in time to buy a cheap £2.99 umbrella. On to Regent St where the brightly lit shops were beckoning me to step in and have a look-see. I did pop by Mango and a few other places, but a quick conversion of the quid to ringgit didn’t justify anything much to be bought. So much for my shopping spree, heh. Oh well, at least it was a good browse.

I skipped Oxford St for another day and made my way home around 4:30PM. It was getting dark very quickly by then, and the queue for the bus was really long. Something similar about boarding the bus here and in KL – they don’t queue! Everyone rushed to the front door to clamber in till the bus was too full and some had to take the next ride.

Tired from the day’s activities (my feet were still aching from constant walking the past 3 days), my mind started wandering while streams of people squeezed in and out of the bus along the way. It wasn’t until I noticed a Mini showroom that I realised… oh dear. I missed my stop. I quickly got down the next stop and asked a woman for directions to get back towards Acton. She pointed me to the next bus stop, and said, “You might as well walk, the bus will take forever.” Ok… we’ll just have a look at the bus stop first.

Walking quickly across the highway I found a bus stop, but after looking at the route map for a couple of minutes I realised the 266 wasn’t going this way. Aiyo. Walked further down again to the other side of the big intersection and saw a couple of guys waiting for a bus. I asked one of them where I could take the 266, and lucky for me he pointed me in the right direction.

As I stood under the signpost on Leamington St, the French lady that was with me asked what bus I was waiting for. I mentioned the 266, and she said “You might want to take the 440, you’ll have to wait a long time for the other bus…” Aiyooo. That’s twice someone told me the same thing in an hour. But because I friggin’ didn’t know where I was, I stayed rooted to the post for a good half hour before I started really observing and deciphering the bus route on the post.

Hmmm.

If I walked down this road… turn left… up again… maybe things will look more familiar. I’m sure I didn’t go that far past my stop… Ala, jalan je lah!

In 5 minutes after taking that bend and walking towards Acton, I realised… I wasn’t that far away from home after all. Bodoh-nya! It took me just under 15 minutes to get back safe and sound, and I had a good laugh at myself for wasting 1 hour looking for the right bus stop and waiting for my non-existent ride.

And thus was my adventure for the day. Can’t wait to make some hot soup.