Sunday, March 05, 2006

they don't look like muffins but...

I went looking for the Muffin Man again today. Decided to go with something a little different - no chocolate, no blueberry, no banana - but with apples this time around. I spied this recipe for Fresh Apple Muffins on Recipe Source, thought I'd try it out. So here goes...


INGREDIENTS:
3 apples (Granny Smith) peeled, cored and cut in small pieces
1 cup sugar
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 cup whole wheat pastry flour
2 teaspoons baking soda
2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon salt
2 eggs
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1 cup raisins
1 cup walnuts, coarsely chopped


INSTRUCTIONS:
Preheat oven to 350. Lightly grease a 12-cup standard size muffin pan.

Combine the dry ingredients, sifting the baking soda with the flour. In a separate bowl beat the eggs and combine them with the oil. Make a well in the centre of the dry ingredients and pour in the egg-oil mixture. Using a spoon, mix together only enough to incorporate them. Do not over mix. Fold in the raisins and nuts just until evenly distributed. Bake for 20 minutes in the centre of the middle rack. Remove the muffins from the tin and cool on a wire rack.


RESULTS:
Ok, so here's what puzzled me. As the muffins baked in the oven, I checked it every 5 minutes to see if they're cooking well. However, not a single one of my muffins' dough raised like my lemon poppy seed ones. Hmmm, did I put in too much dry ingredients? Should I have cut down on the walnuts and raisins, to give more space for the dough to fill the cups? Maybe it was the pastry flour. I guess I'm still not a master baker to know the real cause of it. Heck, let me eat one and I'll know if anything went wrong...


Verdict - it tastes absolutely heavenly! Despite the weird, rocky terrain surface look (due to all the nuts, raisins and apples), it made me reach out for a second one immediately. Not overly sweet, kind of like apple crumble but the dry version without the applesauce. I don't know quite how to explain it, but as long as the taste is there, I don't mind them looking a bit like the Thing out of a Marvel comic!

I think the next time I make this, I should stuff the cups as much as possible so that it's packed nice and tight. I didn't do it this time around, just scooped it into the cups but without patting it down and filling in the gaps. Maybe that's why they didn't turn out as puffy. Plus I had enough to make 20 muffins instead of 12, so the "extra" 8 could've filled the others a little more.

I suppose I could reduce the walnuts and raisins too...

Haiya, tastes good enough to me! *winks*



p.s. The only place I found pastry flour was at the supermarkets that stock the Radiant Whole Food organic range (Giant and Cold Storage).


Technorati: ,