Thursday, February 23, 2006

the highs and lows

The Highs
They say that by exercising, the body produces endorphins, which are like painkillers, thus "numbing" the brain, and gives the exerciser a natural high. This in turn has the effects of a general boost in mood and happiness.


The right kind of music could elevate one's mood. No need for any kind of research for everyone to agree on this fact.

Current research indicates that chocolate is a weak stimulant because of its content of theobromine, which includes the similar compounds theophylline and caffeine. Theobromine is a mild, lasting stimulant with a mood improving effect. Consuming chocolates supposedly trigger dopamine release in the brain's reinforcement systems – an effect, albeit a legal one, similar to that of opium.

The Lows
I went to the gym this morning, did a 10-minute run and another 12 minutes on rowing. I didn't quite get the happy buzz that expectedly kicks in after exercising. Instead, 10 minutes on the treadmill felt like torture; I'd lost the stamina I had built up over the last year in just 3 months of irregular gym visits. In fact, it was as if I couldn't wait to give up, get off that machine and hide in the shower.

I started the day listening to upbeat music whilst driving to the office / gym. The radio had the regular hits on Fly.fm, but my mind tuned out in just 5 minutes into the programme. My iPod filled my ears with sounds of Iron & Wine later after lunch, and though I'd let it play through all the available tracks, my fingers automatically searched the menu and selected a more sombre Damien Rice towards evening. So much for happy tunes.


During lunch break I popped by Giant to get a bulb replacement for the fused one in my table lamp. My legs took me to the snacks section where I picked up a box of Lemon Cheesecake Kit Kat, and two varieties of Ritter Sport. I consumed two sticks of Kit Kat, and 4 squares each of Ritter Sport Yogurt and Dark Chocolate. I settled down to wait for that high. Nope... didn't quite arrive.

The day was a little mundane, normal, nothing out of the ordinary. It could even be said that it was pretty good, considering that there wasn't any urgent work to be done; no need for a late night at the desk.

Yet somehow... something's missing.

JoMel wrote, "It's when you are giddy with too much laughter, yet being hugely aware of the feeling of hollowness within."

Well, this was one of those days for me.

It was raining when I was driving home in my car. Both outside and in.


Technorati: