Monday, February 27, 2006

achy breaky parts

After 4 months of infrequent gym visits and pigging out (in addition to wallowing in self-pity every few days), I've been slowly getting back into the routine of early morning workouts at the gym. I still can't do my 5km under 40 minutes, it takes me an hour these days. In time, I guess. Or maybe I'll just stick to a 10-minute jog each time and move on to another discipline like rowing or something.

Anyway, I used to do quite a bit of yoga as well before I quit my previous job and moved on to this one. The gym just 2 doors down from my old workplace had pretty good yoga instructors, and had more classes compared to the one that's downstairs my current office. After I'd moved to working outside of KL, my yoga practice had been slowly declining. The excuses were that there weren't any good instructors at the gym I usually frequent now, and it's too far to travel to the other ones. The truth is, I'd got used to a few teachers who now have their own yoga studio at Plaza Damas - Jiva Studio, just opposite of Hartamas Shopping Centre.

Sunday morning, I joined Serena for a yoga session in Vinyasa alignment (Vinyasa: a steady flow of connected yoga postures linked with breath work in a continuous movement). Usually Vincent conducts the class, but he was away on leave so Jazzamine took over for that session.

Being familiar with the basic and a few intermediate poses, I could follow the class with ease. Except... I have not been regularly stretching and practicing by myself at home, so after half an hour into the poses, I was beginning to feel tired. My thighs were screaming for rest at Virabhadrasana II (Warrior II Pose), my arms were shaking while doing Vasisthasana (Side Plank Pose). I wasn't panting, but my breathing wasn't as deep as it should be either.


Oh, but no no no... I couldn't stop there. I was so gung-ho about making sure I fully participated in class to make my visit worth while, I kept going on with the half-contortionist poses, even when my arms couldn't hold me up much anymore and I was collapsing close to the floor while doing Chaturanga Dandasana (Four-Limbed Staff Pose).


All that time, although I felt tired, my limbs weren't aching. I was still game enough to do Adho Mukha Vrksasana (Handstand) with a little help in getting my feet up against the wall; Salamba Sarvangasana (Supported Shoulderstand), and Halasana (Plow Pose) towards the end of practice.


And today...

24 hours later...

My arms, chest and back are as stiff as boards! Ha-ha! I grunt and sigh almost orgasmically trying to reach behind with my hand to scratch my back. Everything that required stretching was in slow motion. It was either that, or rubbing my back against a corner of a pillar akin to a bear rubbing up against a tree.

I've packed my gym bag for an early-morning run on the treadmill tomorrow to ease up the stiff muscles. Hope I don't oversleep... *teehee*!

Pictures from Yoga Journal and Savasa.


Technorati: ,