Tuesday, October 11, 2005

a material girl

I’m a self-confessed shopaholic.

Before I go on I’ll have to clarify that I don’t really go for the super expensive labels like Prada, Chanel, Armani, etc. I somehow don’t see my money being put to good use in the kind of things which look very similar to other cheaper more affordable labels (maybe the other labels are trying to copy the expensive brands instead, but heck, they do a good job of it most of the time).

What I’m referring to would be the so-called cool, up-market, trendy brands which have created such names for themselves that you (or I) just gotta have. It’s a magnetic pull to own the goods with known labels, either for the sake of functionality or just for the name. I’m guilty for the former, maybe on occasion for the latter.

So what have I been indulging these days? Hmmm. I know, I know… it’s so vain of me to post about what I have. But I’m just itchin' to do it. I won’t include the usual threads, footwear and basic necessities; those are given that a girl’s just gotta indulge in during retail therapy sessions. Besides, they don’t cost a bomb, though many quantities of each do thin the wallet quite a bit.

What thingamajigs, then, have been keeping my bank account balance a little lower than it should be this year? My big non-essential purchases for the past 9 months, those that churn up 4-figure entries (ouch!):

My iPod 30GB – also my Gadget of the Year. This would be the best “investment” I’ve made. It kept me company in my solitude, stored all sorts of junk where I wouldn’t have been able to fit anywhere else, let me reminisce about the past with the stored photos. Muahs.


Trek 4300 – my new bike! Well, not really new. It’s second-hand but in very good condition, so it was a steal and an excuse to start biking after many years of procrastinating. Oh… and a Bell helmet to go with it.

The Palm Tungsten T5. Something I bought on a whim and now… sorta regretting it, ’cos I don’t use it often enough to justify its purchase. Bad, bad me.

Collectively, 3 mini holidays – Singapore, Serendah, Kinabatangan.

My biggest splurge (and more to go with it)… the Ticket.

Despite these biggies, there are still things this material girl wants to get before the year’s out (if the holes in my pocket don’t grow any bigger). Notice it’s “want” and not “need”. I really don’t need them. But… I want!

The iBook 12”. I’ve been meaning to get my own laptop since I started work eons ago, but have put it off since the companies I work for all supply me with one to use. However I’m getting a little tired of not having one to call my own and dump in whatever it is without having to worry about company policies, privacy and the likes. But… maybe won’t happen this year… nice to just dream of it for the time being, tho.

A nice Crumpler – the Breakfast Buffet to lug my laptop (hopefully the iBook!) around. This hardly qualifies as a 4-figure purchase but it's kinda expensive for a bag anyway.

Hmmm… that’s it, really. The year’s almost out anyway. I think I could easily fulfil the second one, but the first… Gotta think long and hard on that one! My mind’s already on next year’s big budget buys.

Ok, dears. You’ll be getting handmade Christmas pressies this year. It’s the thought that counts, right?