Wednesday, November 30, 2005

oh, for a little privacy

Hey you...

Yes, you.

Are you one of those who look at other people's monitors or laptop screens when you pass them by from behind? Or when you go and speak to them on some matter, do you sneak a peek at what application window's open?

We all do our little private things at work. Instant messaging, online banking, online shopping, blogging, personal e-mail writing, photo viewing, etc. I doubt there's anyone in the world who wouldn't do anything non-work related during work hours. Unless of course, you really don't have the time to do your own stuff, and your tech administrator has barred the non-work related sites you frequent. Or if you're really anal about it and work is work, play is play, keeping both separate. Otherwise, it's acceptable to do your own little things once in awhile when you have the few minutes to spare. Of course, there shouldn't be any abuse of it either (like when the whole office is rushing to get a proposal out, deadline's at 5PM, you have 80% more of your portion to go and... You blog). That's just asking for trouble.

Anyway, back to the topic. Do you, or do you not, peek at your colleague's screen (whether intentionally or not)?

I admit, once in awhile, my eyes would do a sweep across the screen, then I'd avert my gaze with embarrassment if I spot something I shouldn't have seen. I know I'd feel that my privacy's invaded if someone stared at what I was typing if it's not meant for him / her to read. Unless of course, I've nothing to hide and left my screen wide open for everyone to look-see (what, are you mad??).

I've got used to curious eyes looking at what's keeping me glued to my screen, and these days I can't be bothered hiding my nonsense chat screens or browsers with Amazon.com and some blog I'm reading in the background. But there are times when I'm uncomfortable with it when it just so happens that someone's having a private chat with me about problems and a sensitive phrase or two catches a passer-by's eye, or a little paranoid when I do a quick bill payment online and someone would see how much (or little) money I have in my bank account.

It's such a human instinct, isn't it - curiosity. It always gets the better of us. Quite embarrassing, upsetting even, for the exposed party to realise they've been "compromised". Or when they fall prey to an online "crush meter" hoax sent as a joke (sorry Zed, not meaning to rant on you, it was quite funny as an afterthought, heheh!). Or when even having the computer "locked" with Ctrl+Alt+Del, yet have people use your computer without permission if they happen to know the password (as in the case for Binx. Ok, this one's another matter but it touches on privacy and I thought it quite unfortunate for it to happen).

Eh, I'm posting out of context again. Apologies... *ahem*.

Thus it comes to (the original) question - when is it ok to look at someone's screen? Never? Even if you didn't mean to look at their opened chat windows and see whom they're talking to? Or catch a glimpse of what they're purchasing online on eBay?

I guess there's no answer to this. We'll always be curious beings. We'll always have roaming eyes with an instinct to kepoh at everything we see. But be respectful of what had your eyes had feasted upon, and don't use it against that person. It's just not morally right. Curiosity is one thing, but blackmail is another.

Moral of the story is:
If you don't want anyone looking at things they're not supposed to be looking at, intentionally or unintentionally, don't do it out in the open. You're just asking for it, kan.

And if you do, be prepared for a few sneak peeks every now and then by passers-by. You shouldn't be upset by it if you know it's going to happen anyway. Why hide if you want to risk exposing your deepest, darkest secret at work, of all places?

And shame on you if you intentionally snooped around... *PIAK*!