Saturday, December 03, 2005

bringing down the house

The living hall furniture and TV are in the dining room.

The dining table is in the kitchen.

The satellite decoder is upstairs hooked onto the smaller TV.

The floors are covered with a thick mixture of dust and plaster of paris.

Some strange men (no, they don't look yummy) are working on the ceiling, the wiring, and fixing up the new air-conditioner.

Renovations began yesterday at our house. After some consultation with a feng-shui master (recommended by my second brother who's quite a believer) some months ago, my parents decided that it was time to give the house a new facelift to renew the energy of the house and its inhabitants. New plaster ceiling, new lighting, new door front, new skirting, new tiles for the floor. We've already made a few preliminary changes before this, with a new sofa set and moving of the cooking stove to a smaller corner of the kitchen. Mum didn't like the idea much; she now has to trek further to the sink if she needed water for cooking. But hey, it's all in the name of feng-shui Not that we're great believers of feng-shui, but you know what they say, "better to be safe than to be sorry".

Mirrors moved, sleeping positions altered (including mine!), oh yea... the aquarium full of guppies need to have a new view too, but that'll be later when the hall's ready. I hope it'll all be done in time before Christmas so I could put up my tree and indulge in decorations (no, I'm not Christian but I like the novelty and spirit of the season).

In the meantime, I've kept myself behind closed doors in my room, trying to minimise the amount of dust going in and out of my little sanctuary. I wish I could bring my dog in here too but she'll just get bored after awhile, and whine and scratch her way out (plus she'll leave fur all over, haiya!). Really gotta give her a good bath after this ordeal's done.

My car is at the mechanic's - the break lights are all not working, probably faulty wiring (well actually, the third break light bulb's fused and needs replacing). Time for its regular servicing and oil change too. There's a leak at the front windscreen but I can't be bothered getting it checked, since it only drips when the car is at a very odd angle of sorts.

I need to stock up on toiletries which all seem to be running out at the same time.

Looks like a hefty December bill...

Oh yea. And I can't make my bagels this week because of the works.

Sigh.