Sunday, March 12, 2006

biking baking brunette, baby!

Busy, busy, busy Sunday! Was up, out and about for most of the time since 9:15 a.m., and now it's almost 11:00 p.m. Time to take stock of today's activities.

Biking @ Ulu Yam
Biking seems to have become a monthly (or longer) affair for me now. We went for a 15km ride this morning, which took us about 2.5 hours. We've done this Ulu Yam route before during a bike hash some months ago.


This time around, we made a pitstop at this old mini resort-like building at the edge of a palm estate, which had stables for horses (empty now, of course). Apparently, this used to be where Mahathir came for a little getaway and ride his horse. Not sure how true that was, but either way, it was quite a picturesque place.


It was blistering hot, and route was super dry. Didn't have to wash our bikes after the ride! Yay! Although on the way back, it rained and instead of washing away the little bits of splattered mud here and there, it just dampened the bike. Still had to hose it down a bit. Poop.


Sheila's Pudding
Darling Kat passed me this recipe a couple of nights ago when we chatted on YM. Thank you, babes! It's a slight modification of Jamie Oliver's original Sheila's Pudding recipe. I had to try it out tonight. Let's see...

INGREDIENTS:
6 peaches or nectarines (substitute with plums or apples), halved and pitted
4 tsp sugar
125g butter
125g caster sugar
2 large eggs
125g self-raising flour
1 tsp vanilla essence

INSTRUCTIONS:
Cook the fruit with 4 tsp sugar and 4 tbsp water. Simmer for about 5 minutes. Place into a well-greased and lightly floured ovenproof dish or bowl.

Beat the butter, caster sugar, vanilla essence and eggs everything except flour, until light and fluffy. Add flour, mix thoroughly and spread over the cooked fruit. Bake in preheated oven of 180C for 45 mins. Remove from oven and serve with hot custard or something cold, like vanilla ice-cream.


RESULTS:
Nice and fruity, almost like apple crumble but with a cake-like texture for the crust. Yum! My crust turned out a little too crumbly though, so it kinda fell apart when I scooped it up onto plates. Ha-ha! I think I might've baked it for a little too long, I got distracted by the TV and didn't pay attention to the time. Doesn't quite matter, we all know that the taste is what counts, right? *winks*!

*muah muah* to Kat!



Colour Me Brunette
Yes, today was a major day of fatt-hau-ness. I guess as we get older, we transcend to a level of fatt-hau-ness that only we could understand. (LB, it's all your fault!)

I made a trip to Monsoon-id, the same salon I went to the last time I had a haircut. I was tired of my dull black hair, so decided to give it a nice highlight - dark... something... copper. Something. Whatever. It turned out pretty good! Not too commonly light, not too dark until there's almost no difference. Sorry, no photo of my new hair colour as I forgot to take my camera out with me. Yes, it's my lousy excuse!

And how was your Sunday, darlings?


Technorati: , , ,