Sunday, March 19, 2006

diamonds are forever!

fatt-hau (fät hou)
v.
  1. To act of preening oneself to look good, which would not happen ordinarily, e.g. highlighting one's hair, or perming one's eyelashes.
  2. A manner or method of doing something that gives the impression of wanting to be trendy, e.g. changing blog templates every once so often.
  3. Another, milder variation of "kiasu", but in relation to trendiness.

For the benefit of Simple American, I tried putting a definition to the Cantonese term, fatt-hau. Evidently, I seemed to have failed miserably.

Anyway...

Guess what?


I bought myself a pair of diamond earrings for the very first time! Ok, before your eyes start to go really wide, let me close them back to a squint by saying - they're really, really small ones. This is just a macro shot. Very, very up close. The Chinese might be familiar with the term, "pei si dou mou koon sai lup" (translated: boogers aren't even this small).

Really, really small.

The reason was because I have a slightly larger pair given to me by Mummy dearest some years back, and I wanted a tiny pair for my 2nd pierced earhole. Matching mah!

(See? Fatt-hau-ness in action.)

Hmmmm, come to think of it... all the diamonds I have are all given to me by my Mum! A pendant, a ring, a pair of earrings. Not show-pieces, for sure. Subtle pieces that still look nice if you stare at them long enough.

Sigh.

Still waiting for my knight in shining dollars... err, I mean, armour to give me that lovely, lovely criss-cut pendant / earrings / ring set at Goldheart, which I look at every time I pass by their window display. Terribly pricey. Absolutely gorgeous!

Sigh!

I guess these'll have to do for now...


Technorati: ,