Wednesday, March 29, 2006

icky green globs

Isn't it just typical of me to fall ill after a "holiday" away from Blogland?

Since last Friday night's yummy-licious dinner of black pepper lala with beehoon and steamed fish with garlic among other dishes, my throat had decided to retaliate the burning torture of spicy peppers and chillies by giving me a dish of its own.

Icky green globs.

You know, the kind that looks like Calvin's (of Calvin & Hobbes) plate of green mush which were supposedly vegetables.

It started as a tight sensation at the throat, with slight difficulty in swallowing, as if something's always stuck at the base of it. Almost like having a piece of gum stuck under the table that wouldn't go away. It got worse over the weekend, and by Sunday I was regularly hacking my lungs out at irregular intervals just trying to make it un-stick. It was quite an uncomfortable feeling especially at night when I try to fall asleep. Just as my brain starts shutting down, I'd choke on a fleck of phlegm and be awake again, swallowing down the discomfort. I'm surprised I didn't snore my way to oblivion according to a reliable source who witnessed my quiet slumber. Oh wait... that's only if I have a flu, hor? Duh.

I, being the stubborn cow, refused to see the doctor about my cough. Why get some awful tasting medicine when you could indulge in home-remedies? Ok, can't really call store-bought Robitussin cough drops as a home remedy, but anything's better than visiting the doctor for cherry flavoured syrup. Yuck yuck yuck!

Someone LB dear kindly recommended drinking lemon juice to calm down the throat and ease the soreness after coughing endlessly. The first time I had it on Sunday night, I had squeezed in a whole lemon, one teaspoonful of honey, and some water. Ohhhhh... sour!!! But with a brave face with eyes all screwed up and squeezed shut, I drank it all. I think that's what started the glob to un-stick. I bought a couple of lemons today as well on the way back from my morning meeting.

It's not miracle cure, but it still tastes better than cough syrup. Squeezing the lemons have made my fingers smell like them as well. Kinda like good ol' dishwashing liquid. Some may find this disgustingly strange, but I actually like the smell of lemons (dishwashing kind or otherwise). Very homely scent to it.

Anyway, the glob finally started dislodging itself from the walls of my throat, bit by bit. It's regular phlegmy, yucky coughing now that would wake up the dead. This morning, out came a sizeable chunk of it, again looking like the green mush monster on Calvin's plate. Sorry if it's too graphically described for you to digest. There's some more to go, though. I guess I'll still be disrupting the silence every once in awhile till the end of the week.


Juice from half a lemon,
2 teaspoons of honey,
some hot water to mix.

Wanna wanna?


Technorati: ,