Tuesday, March 21, 2006

new toy! new toy! yay-hooray!

Oh gosh, oh gosh, oh gosh!!!

Guess what, guess what, guess what?

After months of hinting (ok, more like downright complaining) about my slow, ancient Dell 12" screen laptop which was crawling like a snail, with applications crashing now and then - definitely not more than 5 in a row otherwise it'll just die - the Company finally presented to me a shiny, spankin' new toy!

May I present...


The Dell Inspiron 630m, 14.1" Wide Screen notebook!

Wheeeeee!!!

*does a quick dance on the spot*

Oh, this baby runs fast; it zoomed 10 - nay, 100 - times faster than the oldie. Ok ok, I'm exaggerating, but I could really feel the difference. After a quick check that most of the data's still intact, I spent what's left of my afternoon installing all the extras I needed. Guess what's the first application I installed?

Yup, it's Yahoo Messenger! Ha-ha!

Then came MSN Messenger, Skype, iTunes, Quicktime, Picasa, Bit Comet, Bit Torrent, iScrobbler... There are still some yet to be installed, like the DivX drivers, but those could wait. Till tomorrow. *GRIN*!


I brought this baby home (did I mention I just absolutely love it?) and immediately set it up to connect to my local Wi-Fi. Oh yea, it has built-in Wireless! How gorgeous is that? I spied a little icon for Bluetooth, but I think it's just there in case a dongle is inserted. Minus half a point there for not having built-in , but who the heck cares... for now.


Check it out... it has funky multimedia control buttons at the front. Cheesy, if you ask me. But who am I to complain, since I didn't have to pay a cent for this, right? Granted that it'll have to be returned if and when I leave the Company, but till then, it's all mine... all mine!


Look at Rolf sniffing out the machine. He could even see his reflection on the XGA TFT display, with 1280 x 800 resolution. Did I say Wide Screen? There's so much space to the left of my blog now, it actually looks small on this screen! No more scrolling left and right, no more grumbling about sites not being 800 x 600 to fit in a proper window.

Ooooh, and this is the best-est, best-est part:


8X DVD+/-RW Combo Drive!

I can finally watch all of those DVDs I bought months ago but never got around to since my DVD player kah-puted. No more of that external drive nonsense too, so glad I don't have to carry extra pieces of peripherals around. Burning data to CDs or DVDs would be a breeze too, instead of having to rely on someone else's machine to do the job.

There's only one thing I'm a little miffed about - it doesn't fit my nifty little Moderate Embarrassment Crumpler bag. The padded sleeve only fits up to a 12", maybe a 13", but definitely not a 14.1" Wide Screen machine. Sigh! Guess I'll have to resume using my other Samsonite backpack which was a birthday gift from my brother last year. Thank goodness that fits up to a 14.5" lappie, so I don't have to spend more on buying a new bag.

My friends are telling me to sell the Moderate Embarrassment and buy a bigger Crumpler bag, but nuh-uh, I'm saving it up for the REAL baby. Granted that this brand new Dell is mine to use, it's still my adopted child, my "kai chai", my "anak angkat". I'm still waiting for the day I acquire my own darling. What else could it be but a MacBook? Teehee!

Till then...


Ahhhhhhhhhh.


Technorati: ,