Friday, March 31, 2006

not-so-thin almonds

It's little May's day off!

I decided to take today off to just laze around, without much plan in mind. It's been awhile since I've had some time out during a work day, and it feels kinda cool, with no worries in mind! Aren't you jealous? *Grin*!


Went to the gym in the morning for a quick workout. I've not been consistently going, perhaps just once a week the past few weeks due to morning meetings in town. I don't seem to like evening workout sessions anymore, partly because the crowd would be there, and evenings are for me to just kick back and relax instead of sweating it out on the treadmill.

Wandered around MPH after that, and bought a book on Breads, which was on 30% discount. Hmmmm, some pretty interesting recipes in there. Don't y'all look at me at once! I'll take my time in experimenting with some of these. For now, I have something else in store for you...

Almond Thins
! Recipe is found on Michael Thompson's site.


INGREDIENTS:
1 cup butter or margarine; unsalted
1 egg
1 cup white sugar
1 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon salt
2 cups almonds; sliced


DIRECTIONS:
  • Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
  • Cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add the egg and vanilla and beat until smooth.
  • Sift together the flour and salt and slowly add to butter mixture. Mix until just blended.
  • Divide batter in half and place each half on in the centre of two un-greased, flat-sided cookie sheets.
  • Dip a spatula in warm water and spread batter to cover the entire baking sheet, making sure batter is spread evenly. Sprinkle almonds and press gently into dough.
  • Bake each sheet about 12 minutes, or until edges are lightly browned. Remove from oven.
  • Cut hot cookies into neat 2-inch squares. Return to oven and bake until lightly golden, about 5 minutes. Watch carefully to prevent over-baking.
  • Remove from oven to a wire rack. Slide spatula under cookies to loosen. Cool completely on cookie sheets. Store in airtight containers with layers of wax paper between layers.
Makes 6 dozen.


RESULTS:
Ok, I must say that this wasn't exactly the "almond thins" was expecting. I had wanted to make those that were like biscotti, the really, really thin and crispy ones. I had bought a book with a few recipes on that a couple of weeks ago, but I thought this should be similar. It's thin alright, but not with the biscotti texture. Cookie texture, more like. And I had to bake it for longer than stated, yielding less than 6 dozen. Maybe it's because my cookie sheets are smaller and I didn't spread out the dough thin enough.


I should've guessed from the beginning that this recipe isn't the biscotti-type thins, looking at the directions of making them. If memory serves me right, biscotti dough needs to be baked in a shape of a log, then sliced into thins later on. Right, Kat & Boo? It's still very sweet and flavourful (with one cup of sugar, it had better be!), nice to nibble on. Lovely for teatime!


Thins... errrr... cookies, anyone?


Technorati: ,